Chicago’s Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership seeks an on-site, on-staff Web Developer to manage web-based communications and creatively cultivate new online initiatives.
In This Position
As Spertus Institute’s Web Developer, you are responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the organizations websites and web-based resources. Your work includes a variety of projects with considerable room for creativity. It supports academic and leadership-training programs that serve Jewish communities worldwide, along with educational and cultural offerings here in Chicago. As a key member of the Marketing & Communications Department, you work closely with a small team of knowledgeable, creative colleagues, as well as with smart, dedicated staff members across the Institute. Although the sole on-site developer, you are able to source and supervise outside web development for special projects or initiatives that require additional expertise.
- You enjoy a pleasant, intellectually stimulating work environment.
- You work onsite the majority of your work time (something that isn’t particularly onerous, because your desk has gorgeous views overlooking Grant Park), but you can arrange flexible hours, within reason, as needed.
- You report to Spertus Institute’s experienced Director of Marketing & Communications.
- As needed, you have the support of a small in-house IT department.
As the go-to resource for everything web related, you are comfortable independently administering a variety of LAMP-based servers and technology. You have a well-rounded knowledge of current open source web technologies and Linux administration, plus an eye for effective design. You are enthusiastic and responsive to the needs of users and colleagues and have ideas for techniques and tools to proactively move us forward.
- Design, develop, manage, and maintain Spertus Institute’s web sites —spertus.edu (Drupel based) and donate.spertus.edu (Blackbaud) — as well as several micro-sites and portals.
- Proactively address and resolve technical issues — in conjunction with vendor support.
- Establish strategies, guidelines, and monitoring of web resources for accuracy and effectiveness.
- Produce and improve Spertus Institute’s email marketing and online advertising campaigns.
- Recommend and develop solutions to enhance online communications and improve site performance.
- Develop and implement web applications for special projects.
- Provide after-hours/non-workday support via remote access as needed.
Required Expertise and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in web design and development with specialty in Drupal development.
- Portfolio showing design and development skills as well as a passion for clean design and user experience.
- Advanced knowledge of server administration, WHM/cPanel support, and CentOS or other Linux distributions.
- Experience with PHP, MySQL, Drupal, and working with content management systems.
- Experience developing database driven websites.
- Proficiency with Adobe’s Creative Suite and with image editing and information design/architecture.
- Good understanding of mobile and tablet site development and testing.
Bonus Expertise and Experience
- Experience with Blackbaud NetCommunity.
- Knowledge of LMS software for online learning (Desire2Learn, Blackboard, or similar).
- CRM database management experience.
- Experience with a PHP MVC framework.
- Experience developing with third party APIs.
- Experience with a front-end framework like 960gs, Bootstrap, or Foundation.
- Experience with managing and interpreting Google Analytics data and Google AdWords campaigns.
- Experience developing websites for educational, nonprofit, or arts organization(s).
- Bachelor’s degree in in computer science, graphic design, visual communications, multimedia, or similar.
Choice of highly-subsidized group health and dental plans. Plentiful paid holidays (secular and Jewish holidays) and paid vacation. Early closures on Friday. Retirement savings matching plan.
Please send the following to:
(No phone calls)
- Your resume.
- A cover letter telling me about yourself, your favorite bonus skill(s), and what interests you about this position.
- URLs of sites you have built and/or currently manage (required).
- At least two references.
Spertus Institute is an equal opportunity employer.